Saturday 20 June 2009

I can be your hero Baby

It seems a long time since we’ve had Youth Club at our house. With each individual taking a turn to open the doors of their home to all their mates, and with the numbers slowly increasing, it can be a fair few weeks before our turn comes around. Hosting such an event has lost none of its thrill for Max; in fact the wait has made it more so. He was bouncing with high spirits and anticipation on his return home from school. He couldn’t wait to wave off Carol, the driver of his school bus, in order to get busy with the food and preparation.

Max and I did discuss him having a shower and freshening up, but that was a leap too far. The sweaty complexion would have to be endured; a quick change into funky cool clothes was all Max could manage. That took very little time indeed and, with astonishing speed, Max presented himself to me at the kitchen door, hands washed and ready to ‘boss’.

It’s the same food every time. Change and variety is not required in the world of DS. Repetition and routine is just the ticket. This can be handy sometimes as well as a pain in the butt at others. My regular supply of croissants, crisps, raisins and Jaffa cakes, along with mini cartons of apple juice, were dug out from the pantry, as well as popcorn and filled pitta bread (egg mayo, tuna, and just butter for Nikita).

The bounty of food was arranged on the table and bang on 5.30pm the guests arrived. It’s a two hour slot, so no time for any fashionable lateness. Max’s joy is a treat to watch, but the drama soon began. Teenage angst, hormonal intoxication and some healthy rivalry, it all goes on. There’s nothing pretty about teenagers en mass. The flirting and dating, the dumping and the making up. It’s all so terribly stressful and exhausting – and that’s just for me!

The women can be minxes, the boys can be..... well boys. These young people are no different to your average teenager and hopefully they get to experience similar situations of friendship and dating. I overheard Max chatting to one of the girls; she had lured him to a private corner by the bottom of the stairs.
‘Max,’ she said.
‘What’s an affair?’
‘An affair?’ he gulped.
‘Yes, I don’t know what that is. Do you?’
Max had no specific idea either, but he wasn’t going to admit it.
‘Yes, an affair is when you have sex with someone.’
‘Oh,’ she said.
‘Thank you for telling me I never knew that. Are you learning about condoms at school?’
‘Yes! We are! Are you?’
‘Yes!’
‘We are learning all about that stuff. Where not to touch, you know, private bits.’
‘Yes us too. Thanks Max.’
Off they went. A good deal of whispering in secret huddles in the corridor went on between one or other of the group. They just love it, it lets them tap into a world they sometimes feel they are just on the periphery of, bystanders only allowed to view yet desperate to get stuck in and enjoy the dance just like everyone else. It’s very educational to over-hear too.


By indulging in all the drama and fuss they learn appropriate boundaries and suitable forms of behaviour. Most of it is by trial and error just like your world and mine. They don’t get it entirely right all of the time, but near enough for it to count. Their development relies on it and it’s a healthy safe environment for them to spread their wings.

At one point Charlie bravely came out from the sanctuary of his bedroom and while coming down the stairs was spotted by Annalie.
‘Don’t worry about all the fuss Charlie,’ she called up to him.
‘It’s only girls stuff.’

As host, Max gets to organise the event and choose the music. Within no time he’s serenading all the ladies with ‘I can be your hero baby’ by the lovely Enrique Iglesias. All the facial gestures and hand movements spot on, those hours of practice in front of the mirror paying off handsomely now. Personally I think Max is a dead ringer, I can guarantee he agrees!

3 comments:

Teoni said...

Sandy,
I love reading your blogs, Max sounds quite a character!
I shall definetly be reading your book.
I saw Max went to activenture, it's such a small world because that's where I volunteer.
Teoni Xx

Sandy Lewis said...

Hi Teoni, Thank you so much for your message. I get so chuffed when I'm told that people enjoy my writing, I'd love to know what you think of my book. perhaps Max will see you at Activenture this year!
Best wishes
Sandy x

Teoni said...

I will let you know when I've read it then.
Possibly - I'm up two weeks with them; Hope he enjoys it!